Serves Makes 20
- 1 cup (150 g) dried apricots, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pineapple juice
- 80 g light margarine, melted
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar (or ‘spoon for spoon’ sugar replacer)
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- ¼ cup (45 g) brown rice flour
- ¼ cup (40 g) potato flour
- ¼ cup (40 g) gluten-free cornflour
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 cups (25 g) unsalted air-popped corn kernels (popcorn)
- ½ cup (60 g) finely chopped rice bran sticks
- 90 g slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease and line a square 20 cm baking tin.
- Into a small saucepan, place the apricots and pineapple juice and heat over medium to high, stirring regularly until apricots have absorbed the juice. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the margarine, sugar (or replacer), eggs and vanilla, and stir until well combined. Into a large bowl, sift flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and xanthan gum. Add the popcorn, rice bran, almonds and cooled apricots, and stir to combine. Add the egg mixture, and stir until well combined. Spoon the mixture into the baking tin and smooth over the surface.
- Place the tin in the oven and cook until the slice is golden brown and surface is just firm, about 30–35 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool to room temperature. Cut slice into 20 pieces.
Kids & Teens: Special Occasion Food
Per serve, using sugar: energy 505 kJ (120 Cal), protein 2.7 g, fat 5.1 g, saturated fat 0.6 g,carbohydrate 15.6 g, sugars 8.8 g, fibre 2.1 g, sodium 27.9 mg, GI low
Per serve, using sugar replacer: energy 430 kJ (102 Cal), protein 2.7 g, fat 5.1 g, saturated fat 0.6 g, carbohydrate 10.9 g, sugars 3.6 g, fibre 2.1 g, sodium 28 mg, GI low