Forget commercial baked beans! These brekkie beans are quick to make, very nutritious and delicious!
- canola oil spray
- 150 ml water
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 small stalk celery, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (260 g) butter beans, rinsed
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon sambal oelek
- ¼ teaspoon rosemary, finely chopped
- 4 slices (200 g) dark rye bread, toasted
- 1 can (400 g) crushed tomatoes
- Heat a medium-sized saucepan and lightly spray with canola oil.
- Cook the onion, celery, garlic and carrot until the onion is transparent. Add the rosemary, crushed tomatoes and water. Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the brown sugar and stir through.
- Reduce the heat until thickened then add the beans and sambel oelek and stir through until combined. Add extra salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve with dark rye toast.
Tip Making your own beans means you get a more wholesome meal which keeps youfuller for longer. They also have less additives and added fat than commercial beans. These can also be made in advance and frozen in serves for future breakfasts.
Gluten Free – Serve with Low GI gluten free bread and ensure sambal oelek is gluten free.
Per serve: fat 0.5 g|saturated fat 0.07 g|protein 6.4 g| carbohydrate 0.001 g | sodium 305 mg | energy 393 kJ (94 Cal) | GI low