These are great for entertaining and watch the kids go for the novel shape!
- ½ cup short grain sushi rice
- ¾ cup water
- 1 table spoon rice vinegar
- 2 tea spoons sugar
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, washed and cut into 12 thin strips
- 1 small carrot, washed, peeled and cut in to 12 thin strips
- 1 small avocado peeled and cut in to 12 thin strips
- 210g can red salmon, drained
- 1 tea spoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 nori sheets
- water and vinegar, for dipping
- ¼ cup light soy sauce (optional)
- ½ tea spoon wasabi (optional)
- Wash and drain rice at least 3 times. Finally drain well. Place rice and water in a small sauce pan and bring to the boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes. Do not remove lid. Turn heat off and allow to stand for 10minutes.
- t allow rice to get too wet and mushy.) Continue to fluff and fold the rice in a cool area until rice is shiny, slightly sticky and cool. Set aside with a damp tea towel over the top to stop the rice from drying out and getting hard.
- Add lemon juice to salmon and stir.
- Cut nori sheets in 4 equal squares, place in a zip lock bag or cling wrap until ready to serve to avoid softening and wrinkling.
- Place 1 square in your left hand, shiny side down, using moist hands(dipped in vinegared water, see Cook’s tip place 2 table spoons sushi rice in the top of one of the corners and rake it down in to the centre with your finger to make room to fill with ingredients.
- Spread a small amount of wasabi over rice if desired, fill with 1 strip cucumber, 1 strip carrot, 1 table spoon salmon and 1 strip avocado.
- Fold one side of the nori sheet to stick to rice and fold the other side into form a cone shape. The tip of the cone can be folded back to make filling more secure, dip in to soy sauce if desired and enjoy immediately.
Health tip: Nori is a great source of iodine which is an important mineral for thyroid function.
Cook’s tip: To prepare vinegared water, just add a splash of vinegar to some water.
Diabetic Friendly: Serve 1 cone as a snack or 4 as a main meal
Gluten Free: Use GF soy and GF wasabi
Per serve (2 cones), energy 704kJ, protein 8.6g, fat 7.6g, saturated fat 1.9g, cholesterol 21.9mg, carbohydrate 15.7g, fibre 1.6g, sodium 79.7mg, GI low