- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 500 g chicken livers
- 3 medium brown onions, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup brut sparkling wine
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 packet gluten-free crackers
- Heat oil and butter in a heavy-based fry pan over medium heat. Sauté chicken livers and onions until browned. Add the sparkling wine, sage and pepper, and cook until all the liquid has reduced.
- Add the tomato paste. Stir well and continue cooking for a further minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool. When cooled, pour the mixture into the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
- Transfer the pâté to a bowl, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready, arrange some gluten-free crackers or rice crackers on a platter.
- Fill a piping bag (ﬁtted with a small star nozzle) with the pâté. Carefully pipe small amounts onto crackers. (Alternatively serve a slice of pâté with crackers on the side.)
Pâté only: per 35 g serve (or 2 tablespoons): fat 8.1 g, saturated fat 3.4 g, protein 7.4 g, carbohydrate 1.9 g, sodium 56 mg, energy 485 kJ (116 Cal), GI low
With crackers: per 35 g serve (or 2 tablespoons): fat 9.2 g, saturated fat 3.4 g, protein 8 g, carbohydrate 11.5 g, sodium 125 mg, energy 699 kJ (167 Cal), GI low