- 200 g oven-bake 97% fat-free oven chips
- 4 slices grainy bread
- 350 g chicken breast
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 1 zucchini, peeled and finely grated
- 1 egg
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- raw vegetables, for serving (optional), for example tomato, carrot, cucumber and capsicum strips
- tomato sauce, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- Place chips on a non-stick pan and place in the oven frozen. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the chips are cooking, process the bread in a blender or food processor until you have fine breadcrumbs. Remove and place in a mixing bowl. Process the chicken until it is a mince consistency, then place in the bowl and mix together with the breadcrumbs, carrot, zucchini, egg and spring onions.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Place spoonfuls of chicken mix in the pan, and cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through. Place in an ovenproof dish and keep warm in the oven while the chips finish cooking.
- Serve the chicken nuggets with the chips. Serve with vegetables and a little tomato sauce, if desired (see Health tip).
Health tip: While babies can have condiments from 12 months of age, only serve them occasionally.
Raw vegetables can be replaced with age-appropriate steamed vegetables of your choice for younger children (10 to 11 months old).
These are a party favourite and a much healthier choice than the frozen varieties. You could double the recipe and serve them at your child’s next birthday party.
Cook’s tip: Chicken nuggets can be frozen and stored up to 3 months, defrost in fridge overnight then reheat in a fry pan or microwave.
Squeeze out excess liquid in the carrot and zucchini by placing grated vegetables on a piece of kitchen towel, wrapping them up and squeezing out the moisture over the sink.
Gluten Free: Use GF Multigrain bread and GF oven baked chips
Per serve (6): energy 815 kJ, protein 17 g, fat 6.6 g, saturated fat 1.1 g, cholesterol 57.1 mg, carbohydrate 15.9 g, fibre 2.5 g, sodium 160.7 mg, GI low