Serves Makes 30
- 3 egg whites
- 1¼ cups caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free cornflour
- 3 cups desiccated coconut
- 150 g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 165ºC/150ºC fan-forced. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- Place the egg whites into a dry mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until firm peaks form. Add the sugar gradually, beating until mixture thickens and becomes glossy, and the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Transfer the mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the coconut and gluten free cornflour. Using a metal spoon carefully fold until combined.
- Drop teaspoons of mixture onto the prepared baking trays leaving space between each macaroon to allow for spreading. Bake on the top tray of the oven for approximately 20–25 minutes or until the macaroons are golden brown.
- Allow macaroons to cool on racks. While the macaroons are cooling, prepare the chocolate dipping sauce.
- To make the chocolate dipping sauce, place the chocolate into a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. When the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and allow to stand for a few minutes.
- Carefully dip one side of each macaroon into the melted chocolate then place on a tray lined with baking paper and allow to set.
Kids & Teens: Special Occasion Food
Per piece: fat 6.3 g, saturated fat 5.2 g, protein 1.1 g, carbohydrate 12.8 g, sodium 9.7 mg, energy 467 kJ (112 Cal), GI high