- 1 kiwi fruit
- 1 small navel orange
- 4 strawberries, washed and hulled
- 4 paddle pop sticks or blunt chopsticks
- Cut the ends off the kiwi fruit and cut away the skin of the sides. Cut into 4 slices.
- Cut the ends off the orange, then cut the skin off the sides and cut into 4 equal quarters.
- Thread, one piece of kiwi, orange and strawberry onto each stick without piercing the end through the strawberry.
- Stand in a tall glass and serve, or make a game out of the ‘traffic lights’ using match box cars before consuming. Remove fruit from the stick before consuming for children under 12 months of age. Use Chinese chopsticks as they have a blunter end than the Japanese ones.
Baby Friendly – Suitable from 10-12 months
Health tip: It’s great to make healthy food fun as it helps children have a positive relationship with good food options especially in a world where junk food is often portrayed as the more fun option.
Cook’s tip: These can also be frozen into ice blocks. You can use any fruit – try a melon traffic light using rockmelon, honeydew melon and watermelon. Always supervise children with sticks in their hand and do not allow them to run with them.
Per serve: energy 383 kJ, protein 2.7 g, total fat 0.3 g, saturated fat 0.1 g, cholesterol 0 mg, carbohydrate 16.1 g, fibre 5.9 g, sodium 8.9 mg, GI low