A beautifully healthy winter soup! Lunch or dinner!
- 2 lamb shanks
- 4 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 large turnips, grated
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2 large swedes, grated
- 2 large brown onions, grated
- ½ cup long grain rice
- 1 litre water
- toast, for serving, if desired
- Place the shanks in a deep sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Keep adding boiling water to the pot to completely cover the shanks.
- Place the celery and other vegetables into the saucepan with the shanks. Bring back to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 2hours.
- add the rice in the last 20minutes of cooking. Cook until the rice has softened.
- Serve with toast on the side, if desired.
Diabetic Friendly: Serve with Low GI toast to increase CHO
Per serve, fat 4.8g, saturated fat 2.1g, protein 15.4g, carbohydrate 21.5g, sodium 163mg, energy 883 kJ (211 cal), GI high