- ¼ cup fine rice flour
- ½ cup gluten-free cornflour
- ¹/³ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 eggs
- ²/³ cup caster sugar
- 30 ml hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 150 ml whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence, extra
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 3½ cups water
- 225 g butter (or Nuttelex)
- 4 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1½ cups Dutch cocoa powder
- 3 cups desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan-forced. Lightly grease and line two 18 cm round cake tins with baking paper.
- Sift the ﬂours and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Add the xanthan gum. In another bowl beat the eggs for 1 minute on high then add the sugar. Beat on high speed for approximately 5–8 minutes, until the mixture is pale, ﬂuffy and thick. Beat in the hot water and the vanilla essence.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the ﬂour mixture to the egg mixture and fold in with a metal spoon. Gradually add the remaining ﬂour mixture in small batches until all combined. (Ensure the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain.)
- Pour half the mixture into each prepared cake tin, and place in the oven for about 25–30 minutes. Check the sponge is ready by pressing on the top of each one. If it springs back they are cooked.
- When ready, remove sponges from the oven and allow to stand for 2 minutes, then carefully remove from tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely. (If the sponges have uneven tops, trim with a serrated knife to even up.)
- To make the chocolate coating, place 2 cups water in a large heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the butter (or Nuttelex) and stir until melted. Place the icing sugar and cocoa into a large bowl and pour over the melted butter mixture and whisk together. Add the remaining 1½ cups cold water, whisking again until all combined.
- Place coconut in a baking dish. Wearing gloves, carefully and quickly lower the sponges into the chocolate, coating all sides, and allow to drain off before placing in the coconut. When coated, allow to stand on a wire rack (adding extra coconut if needed). Allow the sponges to set for 10 minutes.
- In a clean bowl beat the cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Spread one sponge with strawberry jam, then top with whipped cream. Carefully place the other sponge on top and serve.
Kids & Teens: Special Occasion Food
Per serve (with ﬁlling): fat 47.2 g, saturated fat 23.3 g, protein 9.2 g, carbohydrate 110.1 g, sodium 258 mg, energy 3720 kJ (889 Cal), GI high