A quick and easy, healthy homemade soup!
- 400g skinless chicken thigh
- 2 tea spoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- ½ head cauliflower, washed
- ½ head broccoli, washed
- 200g sweet potato, washed
- 500g pumpkin, washed
- 4 stalks celery, washed
- 2 medium carrots, washed
- 250ml salt-reduced chicken stock
- ¼ bunch parsley, washed
- 3 cups water
- parsley, extra, to serve
- 4 small crunchy wholemeal grainy dinner rolls, to serve
- Trim chicken of excess fat and cut into large pieces. Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium to high heat. Add the garlic, onion, and chicken and brown the outside of the chicken. Roughly chop vegetables into large pieces (about 5cm), add to sauce pan and add stock, parsley and enough water to just cover the vegetables.
- Bring to the boil, and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken pieces, then chop chicken roughly.
- Using a hand-held blender, blend vegetables until smooth(or keep some texture, if desired). Add extra water to soup if required for desired consistency and stir. Return chicken to sauce pan. Simmer until ready to serve, then garnish with the extra parsley, and serve with a small crunchy grainy bread roll.
Health tip: One serve of this soup gives you all 5 recommended daily serves of vegetables. To add extra fibre, add a whole packet of dried soup mix and an extra cup of water to step 1.
Cook’s tip: Use a combination of starchy and nonstarchy vegetables of your choice. Add 1 cup cooked barley to the soup after blending instead of serving with a bread roll.
Gluten Free: Use reduced salt GF chicken stock and GF bread roll to serve
Lacto-ovo Vegetarian: Omit chicken and use vege stock
Per serve (with out roll ) energy 1265kJ, protein 27.3g, fat 10.5g, saturated fat 2.9g, cholesterol 87mg, carbohydrate 20.9g, fibre 7.7g, sodium 327.7mg, GI low