This makes a lovely dessert with a dollop of yoghurt, or a slice in the lunchbox for a healthy sweet treat!
- 55 g light margarine
- ¾ cup caster sugar (or ‘spoon for spoon’ sugar replacer)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- zest of 2 lemon
- juice of 2 lemons
- 200 g no-fat diet vanilla yoghurt
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup (200 g) instant polenta
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ cup (35 g) desiccated coconut
- 75 g sultanas
- extra no-fat diet vanilla yoghurt, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C/150°C fan-forced. Grease and line a 20 cm spring form cake tin.
- Beat the margarine, sugar (or replacer) and vanilla essence with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Add the zest, juice and yoghurt, then add yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a large bowl, combine polenta, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, xanthan gum and coconut, then mix well. Fold this into the egg mixture with a large metal spoon. Add the sultanas, stir through and let sit for 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gently fold into the lemon flour mixture. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- To serve, cut into slices and serve with a dollop of yoghurt.
Kids & Teens: Special occasion food
Per serve, using sugar: energy 660 kJ (157 Cal), protein 4 g, fat 4.9 g, saturated fat 2.1 g, carbohydrate 24.4 g, sugars 14.4 g, fibre 0.9 g, sodium 46.2 mg, GI medium
Per serve, using sugar replacer: energy 521 kJ (124 Cal), protein 4 g, fat 4.9 g, saturated fat 2.1 g, carbohydrate 15.7 g, sugars 4.6 g, fibre 0.9 g, sodium 47.3 mg, GI medium