- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 30g brazil nuts
- 2–3 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 medium avocado (180 g), stone removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 500g wholegrain gluten-free pasta
- olive oil cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- juice from 1 lemon
- cracked black pepper
- 300g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini (150 g), cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 medium (80 g) button squash, thinly sliced
- 6 cups (200 g) baby spinach leaves
- To make the pesto, place the garlic, brazil nuts, basil and lemon juice in a food processor. Process until combined. Add the avocado flesh and process on low speed, and gradually drizzle in the olive oil until smooth. Taste and season with pepper if needed.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the pasta and cook according to packet instructions until tender (al dente), stirring regularly. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium frypan heat cooking spray over medium heat. Add lemon zest and juice, pepper and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms soften and are golden brown (add a little water to help soft if needed). Add the zucchini and squash slices and cook for 1–2 minutes, or until just starting to soften. Add the spinach leaves and cook, stirring all vegetables until the spinach has just wilted.
- Combine the vegetables and pesto with the pasta, then stir through to ensure they are well combined. Serve immediately.
Per serve (based on 6 serves): energy 1927 kJ (459 Cal), protein 9.7 g, fat 15 g, saturated fat 2.6 g, carbohydrate 71 g, sugars 2.5 g, fibre 8 g, sodium 29.6 mg, GI low