With the refreshing flavours of lemongrass and ginger, this is a lovely dessert for any season.
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- ½ cup caster sugar (or ‘spoon for spoon’ sugar replacer)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 4 medium (640 g) pears, peeled
- 200 g no-fat diet vanilla yoghurt, to serve
- Combine the water, sugar (or replacer), ginger and lemongrass in a large saucepan over medium to high heat. Bring to the boil, stir regularly and cook for 2 minutes or until the sugar (or replacer) dissolves. Add the pears and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, turning pears occasionally, for for 1½ hours or until tender.
- Strain the syrup through a fine sieve. Serve each pear with some syrup and no-fat diet vanilla yoghurt.
Kids & Teens: Special occasional food
Per serve, using sugar: Energy 745 kJ (177 Cal), protein 3.1 g, fat 0.3 g, saturated fat 0.1 g, carbohydrate 40.6 g, sugars 35.3 g, fibre 2.9 g, sodium 34.9 mg, GI low
Per serve, using sugar replacer: energy 559 kJ (138 Cal), protein 3.1 g, fat 0.3 g, saturated fat 0.1 g, carbohydrate 28.9 g, sugars 22.2 g, fibre 2.9 g, sodium 34.9 mg, GI low