A quick, easy and healthy meal for the whole family!
- 150 g fusilli pasta
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 eschallot, diced
- 100 g broccoli florets, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 large field mushroom, washed and diced
- ⅓ medium carrot, washed and sliced
- 105 g can no-added-salt red salmon, drained
- ⅔ cup (50 g) reduced-fat grated cheese
- 1 tablespoon shaved parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
- Cook pasta as per packet instructions.
- Whisk flour and milk together and set aside.
- Heat oil in pan over high heat, add eschallot, cook for 1 minute. Add vegetables and cook for 5 minutes until they lightly brown and soften. Add cooked pasta, milk mixture and stir quickly to combine. Cook for a further 3 minutes until sauce thickens. Stir in the salmon, grated cheese and serve with parmesan cheese on top, if desired.
Health tip: Pasta is a great low GI carbohydrate source, however it is very dense in energy, so best to bulk the meal up with vegetables.
Cook’s tip: Replace salmon with well-cooked fresh ham for a low-fat creamy carbonara alternative.
Gluten Free: Use gluten free fusilli pasta and gluten free plain flour
Toddler Friendly: Use baby pasta or risoni
Per serve: energy 2202 kJ, protein 33.5 g, fat 13.4 g, saturated fat 5.8 g, cholesterol 56.3 mg, carbohydrate 64 g, fibre 6.2 g, sodium 328.9 mg, GI low