Creamy and delicate flavours, this elegant soup is perfect for entertaining!
- 450 g gluten-free seafood mix (shelled prawns, crab, scallops, oysters and fish pieces), bones and shells removed, then cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups fish stock
- 40 g butter (or 1 tablespoon olive oil)
- 1 onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 large potato, sliced
- ½ teaspoon saffron (optional)
- pinch salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup thickened cream
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- gluten-free bread, toasted, to serve
- In a heavy-based saucepan poach the seafood mix in the fish stock until just tender. Drain through a colander or sieve into another large saucepan reserving the seafood mixture in a separate bowl. Keep warm and ensure that all the bones have been removed from the fish.
- Melt the butter (or heat the olive oil) in a saucepan and sauté the onion (if using) and potato for two minutes. Add the strained cooking liquid, saffron and salt and simmer for 15 minutes; then blend in a food processor until smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan, add milk and bring to the boil. Add the cream and the reserved seafood and season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat down to low and continue to simmer gently.
- Serve with chopped parsley and toasted gluten-free bread, if desired.
Diabetic Friendly – Substitute cream with low fat cream
Per 100 g: fat 5.5 g, saturated fat 3.1 g, protein 12.9 g, carbohydrate 4.5 g, sodium 12.9 mg, energy 498 kJ (119 Cal), GI low