- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, washed
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 medium tomato, washed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 150 g fettucine
- 200 g skinless chicken breast
- 120 g diced pumpkin
- 1 large field mushroom, diced
- ¼ cup shaved parmesan pepper, to taste
- basil leaves, extra, for garnish
- Place all pesto ingredients in a small hand-held food processor and blend until smooth.
- Boil 2 cups water in a saucepan and cook pasta according to packet instructions.
- Heat a non-stick frypan and brown the chicken, pumpkin and mushrooms over medium to high heat. Add pesto sauce and heat through, stirring to prevent sauce from sticking.
- Drain pasta and add to frypan over low heat and stir to combine.
- Using tongs, pick up pasta and in a twisting action lower pasta into a bowl, top with parmesan cheese, season with pepper and sprinkle with extra basil.
Health tip: Pesto sauce is very high in folate. It is traditionally thinned with olive oil which makes it a high fat sauce. Using tomatoes adds flavour, vitamins and fibre without the excess kilojoules.
Diabetic Friendly: Alter serving size to 3 serves
Gluten Free: Use GF fettucine
Toddler Friendly: Whole nuts are not suitable for children under 5 years due to chocking risk
Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian: For a vegetarian option simply omit the chicken as protein is provided by the nuts, egg pasta and parmesan cheese.
Per serve: energy 2569 kJ, protein 40.7 g, fat 20.8 g, saturated fat 4.9 g, cholesterol 89.6 mg, carbohydrate 61.8 g, fibre 6.6 g, sodium 240.9 mg, GI low