- ⅓ cup wholemeal plain flour
- ⅓ cup multigrain breakfast banana and apricot infant cereal (with added iron)
- ⅓ cup apple juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Put the flour, cereal and juice in a small bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Roll onto a clean floured bench until about ½ cm thick. Use cookie cutters to cut shapes, continue to roll leftover dough until all the mixture is used, shaping the last leftover dough with your hands.
- Bake for 20 minutes, take out and turn each rusk over, return the tray to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes. Then turn the oven off, open the oven door slightly, and let rusks dry out for a further 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
Baby Friendly – Suitable from 7-8 months
Health tip: These homemade rusks are preservative, salt, yeast and soy-free. Always supervise your baby when eating hard foods, to prevent choking should a large piece break off.
Cook’s tip: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze in a freezer-safe zip lock bag for up to 3 months. Any infant rice cereal blend can be used. White flour can be used for a lower fibre rusk.
Per serve (per rusk): energy 111 kJ, protein 0.6 g, fat 0.2 g, saturated fat 0 g, cholesterol 0 mg, carbohydrate 5.3 g, fibre 0.3 g, sodium 0.6 mg, GI medium