These yummy pots of custard are diabetic friendly, low fat and make an easy dessert.
- olive oil spray
- ¼ cup (45 g/1½ oz) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons custard powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups (500 ml/16 ﬂ oz) low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons sultanas
- pinch nutmeg
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C (315°F/Gas 2–3) and lightly spray 6 ramekins with oil.
- Combine the sugar and custard powder in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, egg white and vanilla.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture into the sugar mixture and whisk to combine.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over a low heat for 3–4 minutes until hot (but not boiling).
- Gradually pour the milk into the egg mixture, whisking until well combined.
- Divide the sultanas evenly between the ramekins and pour over egg mixture; sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Place ramekins in a baking dish and pour boiling water into baking dish until halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 1 hour or until set. Allow the ramekins to cool before serving (can be served hot or cold).
Gluten-free: Use gluten-free custard powder.
Low Lactose: Replace milk with lactose free milk.
Toddler Friendly: Full cream dairy products are required for children under 2 years.
Per serve: Energy 501 kJ / Fat 3 g / Saturated fat 1 g / Carbohydrate 17 g (1 exchange) / Fibre <1 g / Sodium 75 mg / GI low