An easy and healthy alternative to bread and pudding!
- 4 slices white lower-GI bread
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat canola margarine
- 3 tablespoons strawberry fruit spread
- 3 eggs
- 350 ml (11 ﬂ oz) low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1½ cups (250 g/8 oz) frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C (315°F/Gas 2–3).
- Lightly spread each slice of bread with margarine on one side, and fruit spread on the other.
- Cut the bread into triangles and lay 8 triangles margarine-side down, on the base of a long thin baking dish (so triangles overlap slightly).
- Place the remaining 8 triangles on top, jam-side down, and overlapping.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla in a bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread, and sprinkle ½ cup (80 ml/2²/³ ﬂ oz) blueberries along the edges, around the outside of the bread.
- Allow to sit for approximately 5 minutes until the egg mixture has soaked into the bread.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes or until set and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining berries.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes, then dust with icing sugar and serve.
Gluten-free: Use gluten-free bread and pure icing sugar
Per serve: Energy 788 kJ / Fat 6 g / Saturated fat 2 g / Carbohydrate 27 g (2 exchanges) / Fibre 2 g / Sodium 166 mg / GI low