- 4 cups chicken stock
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 raw beetroots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large green apple, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- juice 3 lemons
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 egg yolks
- sour cream (optional), for serving
- chives or parsley, chopped (optional), for serving
- In a heavy-based saucepan place the chicken stock, salt and black pepper, raw beetroot, chopped green apple (if using), sugar, lemon juice and allspice.
- Heat the stock mixture to a light simmer and cook until the beetroot is tender. Cool slightly, then pour the mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, add a little of the soup mixture to the egg yolks, while whisking. Then add the egg mixture to the saucepan along with the puréed stock mixture. Keep whisking over low heat until smooth to make sure the egg yolks are mixed into the soup. Add more salt and pepper if required.
- Serve either hot or cold with a dollop of sour cream and either chopped chives or parsley.
Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian: Use vegetable stock
fat 3 g, saturated fat 1 g, protein 7 g, carbohydrate 7.3 g, sodium 51 mg, energy 391 kJ (93 Cal), GI medium