Serves Makes 12
The whole family will love this delicious dessert! Lovely for entertaining too!
- 45 g unsalted butter
- ¹⁄³ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons golden syrup
- ¹⁄³ cup gluten-free plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Clean bottle (e.g. baby food) about 4.5 cm diameter base
- gluten-free vanilla ice cream
- Fresh fruit, chopped (e.g. strawberries, kiwifruit, peaches, banana)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced and line two flat baking trays with baking paper. Set aside a small, clean bottle (with about a 4.5 cm diameter base, or similar to a baby food jar in size) to use later for creating the brandy snap baskets.
- Combine the butter, sugar and syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Sift the flour and ginger into the pan and stir until well combined. Cover and keep warm.
- Drop 2–3 teaspoons of mixture onto one of the baking trays. Make in batches of two or three on a tray as they will need room to spread. Bake for 7–8 minutes or until golden brown and bubbles have formed. (They should be quite dark – if they are too light, the brandy snap will not become crisp and set properly.) When you remove the first tray from the oven, then prepare the second tray in the same way and place in the oven until all snaps have been made.
- Cool the snaps for 1–2 minutes, then carefully lift the snaps onto a plate lined with baking paper.
- Place the small round bottle in the centre of the snap. Whilst still warm, fold the brandy snap edges up towards the bottle, working by rotating the plate about 5–8 cm at a time to lift the edges and form a wavy-edged basket. Hold in place to cool slightly, then remove the bottle when the shape is set, and place on a kitchen bench to cool completely. Repeat for remaining snaps. When finished store in an airtight container.
- When ready to eat, place a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the centre, and top with a few spoonfuls of mixed fresh fruit. Serve immediately after filling to prevent the snaps from becoming soggy.
Diabetic Friendly: Serve with fresh fruit
Low Lactose: Replace ice cream with lactose free ice cream
Per serve: energy 521 kJ (124 Cal), protein 1.3 g, fat 3.6 g, saturated fat 1.7 g, carbohydrate 22.6 g, sugars 18.7 g, fibre 0.9 g, sodium 68 mg, GI low