- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 egg
- 90 g leftover steamed vegetables (for example, 40 g potato, 20 g pumpkin, 20 g cauliflower, 10 g broccoli)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil spread or butter extra olive oil spread or butter, to serve (optional)
- flat-leaf parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Place the oats in a small hand-held food processor and blend into a flour-like consistency, then add the egg and vegetables, and blend into a thick pancake-like batter.
- Heat the olive oil spread or butter in a pan over medium heat. Spoon four equal pikelet size patties into the pan and cook for 3–4 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. Serve hot or cold with extra additional spread and parsley to garnish, if desired.
Baby Friendly – Suitable from 10-12 months
Health tip: This is a great way to get vegetables into children, with the added fibre of oats, and extra protein in the eggs.
Cook’s tip: Any vegetables can be used, however they will hold their shape a little better if you include some starchy vegetables, such as potato or sweet potato. This recipe is easy to multiply for the whole family to enjoy. Adults may like to add a little salt and pepper, or add a little parsley to the mixture to give it a bit more flavour.
Per serve: energy 624 kJ, protein 8.6 g, fat 4.9 g, saturated fat 1.4 g, cholesterol 136.2 mg, carbohydrate 16 g, fibre 3.1 g, sodium 60.4 mg, GI low