- 2 tablespoons light peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons sweet chilli sauce
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch curry powder
- ½ cup skim milk
- ½ cup (105 g) cup basmati rice
- 250 g skinless chicken breast, fat removed and sliced thinly
- canola oil spray
- ½ green capsicum, washed, deseeded and sliced thinly
- ½ small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 large zucchini, washed and diced
- 1 large carrot, washed, peeled and sliced into thin long sticks
- ½ head broccoli, washed and separated into small florets
- coriander leaves, to serve (optional)
- Place peanut butter in a small microwave-safe dish for 5 seconds or until softened. Add to the rest of the satay sauce ingredients in a small jar or container with a tight lid and shake well until combined.
- Boil 2 cups water; add rice and cook for 10 minutes or until rice has softened. (Makes approximately 1½ cups rice.)
- Heat a non-stick wok or frypan to high. Spray chicken with canola spray and add to pan.
- Quickly move chicken around the pan to seal all sides. Add vegetables and stir quickly to cook vegetables, keeping them from sticking to the pan for 1 minute. Add satay sauce and simmer on high until sauce reduces and thickens, then continue to stir. Vegetables should hold their shape and remain slightly crunchy.
- Place rice in a serving bowl, then satay mixture and serve with coriander, if desired.
Health tip: Satay and coconut curries are usually very high fat options when consumed at a restaurant, so enjoy this variation at home and choose other lower fat options when dining out.
Cook’s tips: Keep pan very hot and stir quickly to maintain crispness of vegetables in order to avoid stewing. You can alternatively use 4 cups of any choice of Asian-style vegetables, or to save time, use frozen stir-fry vegetable mixes.
Gluten Free: Use Gluten Free sweet chilli sauce.
Toddler Friendly: Only suitable if nuts have already been introduced and tolerated.
Per serve: energy 2227 kJ, protein 39 g, fat 14.5 g, saturated fat 3.5 g, cholesterol 84.5 mg, carbohydrate 58 g, fibre 7.2 g, sodium 293.6 mg, GI medium