This salad is bursting with the flavour of fresh herbs and topped with delicious chargrilled haloumi!
- 2 medium (300 g) zucchini
- 1 medium (300 g) red capsicum
- 1 medium (330 g) eggplant
- olive oil cooking spray
- 160g haloumi cheese, cut into 5 mm thick slices
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 2–3 cups (about 100 g) baby rocket or spinach leaves
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat a grill to high.
- Cut the zucchini lengthways into 3 mm thick slices. Cut and deseed the capsicum into 3 cm x 5 cm slices. Cut the eggplant into 3 mm thick slices. Brush the vegetable slices with a little olive oil and place under the grill for 3–5 minutes each side, or until browned. Remove from heat. Wrap in foil and set aside to cool to room temperature. When cooled, cut vegetables into strips, about 5 cm long and 5 mm wide.
- Preheat chargrill pan to medium-high. Brush with a little olive oil. Place pieces of haloumi into the pan and grill for about 1 minute on each side, or until golden brown.
- In a small jar combine the lemon juice, herbs, olive oil, garlic, vinegar and chilli powder to make a dressing. Shake the jar until ingredients are well combined. In a large bowl combine the chickpeas, grilled vegetable strips and rocket or spinach leaves. Toss through the dressing until well combined. Season with pepper to taste. Make a mound of salad on each plate. Top with slices of grilled haloumi (about 3 slices per person) and serve.
Tip: To boost carbohydrate load, serve with warm gluten-free grainy bread.
Per serve: energy 1159 kJ (289 Cal), protein 16.8 g, fat 13.6 g, saturated fat 5 g, carbohydrate 18.3 g, sugars 5.1 g, fibre 8.3 g, sodium 1349 mg, GI low