- 1 vanilla bean (or a good quality vanilla extract)
- 1½ cups milk (or 1 ¼ cups soy milk)
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- Split the vanilla bean lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Place the pod and the seeds into a heavy-based saucepan with the milk. Bring the mixture slowly to the boil.
- When boiling, remove the pan from the heat and set aside, allowing the vanilla to infuse.
- In a glass or porcelain mixing bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks. Add the sugar and beat until smooth.
- Carefully pour the hot milk into the egg mixture while whisking, then pour back into the top of a double boiler, discarding the vanilla bean pod.
- Bring the double boiler to the boil and cook the custard, stirring continuously until it starts to thicken and coats the back of a spoon.
Low Lactose: Use low-fat soy milk
Per 100 g: fat 4.9 g, saturated fat 1.9 g, protein 5.1 g, carbohydrate 13.9 g, sodium 46.8 mg, energy 490 kJ (117 Cal), GI medium