Serves 8 (makes 16 crepes)
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 6 medium-to-large strawberries, quartered
- 150 g plain ﬂour
- 2 eggs
- 300 ml no-fat milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 20 g unsalted butter
- canola oil spray
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- Place the frozen berries, caster sugar and orange juice in a saucepan and stir gently over low heat.
- Turn up the heat however just before boiling add the strawberries and then simmer for 2 minutes. Take off the heat and put aside until the crêpes are ready.
- To make the crêpes, sift the ﬂour into a bowl. Whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla essence into the ﬂ our until a smooth batter forms.
- Melt the butter and pour into the batter; whisk until combined.
- Heat a non-stick frypan, lightly spray with canola oil and drizzle a little batter to test the heat, to make sure it is not too hot or too cold. The crêpe mixture will begin to set almost immediately, without changing colour. Cook the crêpes over low heat until all the mixture is used. (Wipe the pan out after every 3–4 crêpes to remove any excess batter that may be building up.)
- To serve, re-heat the berry compote ﬁ rst, then heat 2 crêpes on high in the microwave for 20 seconds or until quite warm.
- Remove from the microwave and fold one crêpe in half and then in half again, so it looks like a triangle. Spoon the berry compote over the top, or put inside the crêpe before folding. Dust with sifted icing sugar and serve.
Cook’s Tip: The berry compote and crêpes can also be made a day in advance. An easy way to store the crêpes is to turn a plate upside down and pile them up as you go. Then they will be easy to wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate, and then separate for later use.
Per serve fat 5.5 g | saturated fat 1.9 g | protein 6.3 g | carbohydrate 20.5 g | sodium 49 mg | energy 610 kJ (146 Cal) | GI low