- ½ cup tinned apricots in natural juice
- 4 prunes
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons All-Bran® bran ‘sticks’
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 cup (250 ml) light milk
- To make the compote, place apricots (including juice) and prunes in a microwave dish. Heat on medium in microwave for 1 minute, or until steaming hot. Put aside until porridge is ready, allowing prunes to soften and soak up apricot juice.
- To make the porridge, place oats, bran and chia seeds (if desired) in a small saucepan and cover with milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer uncovered, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until oats are soft and bran dissolved or until mixture is a creamy consistency.
- Remove porridge from heat, serve in breakfast bowl and spoon over compote.
Health tip: This contains one-third of your daily recommended fibre. It is important to have high levels of fibre in the diet to maintain a healthy digestive system which is often disturbed during pregnancy.
Cook’s tip: Chia seeds can be found in the health section of major supermarkets and health food stores. They add texture and are high in beneficial omega 3 fats. Replace apricots with any other tinned fruit in natural juice as an alternative.
Toddler Friendly: Children should drink full cream cows milk from 12 months of age until 2 years of age. After 2 years either full cream or reduced fat milk can be used.
Per serve: energy 1780 kJ, protein 17.1 g, fat 8 g, saturated fat 3 g, cholesterol 18 mg, carbohydrate 63 g, fibre 11.1g, sodium 173.5 mg, GI low