This Hummingbird Cake from Sue Shepherd is so delicious and the icing is superb!
- 330 g can crushed pineapple
- 1¼ cups fine rice flour
- ½ cup soy flour
- ½ cup potato flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
(or replace above flours and raising agents with 2¼ cups storebought gluten-free self-raising flour)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 30 g dairy-free spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons passionfruit pulp
- 1½ cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 22 cm springform pan and line with greaseproof paper.
- Drain the canned pineapple, reserving ¼ cup liquid.
- Sift the flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, xanthan gum, ginger, cinnamon and sugar into a large bowl.
- Stir in the pineapple, juice, coconut, banana, egg and oil. Mix until well combined with a wooden spoon. Pour into the pan and bake for 40–50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when firm to the touch, or a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to sit for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the passionfruit frosting, using electric beaters on medium speed beat all ingredients in a bowl. Ice the cake when cooled.
Diabetic Friendly: Alter serving size to 24 serves. Serve with extra passionfruit pulp
Per serve (14 serves): energy 1470 kJ (349 Cal), protein 3.6 g, fat 15.9 g, saturated fat 2.6 g, carbohydrate 49.8 g, sugars 33.2 g, fibre 2.4 g, sodium 42 mg, GI medium