Serves Makes 375g
- 250 g cooked chickpeas, drained and washed
- 30 ml lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 1 small or medium-sized clove garlic
- 20–40 ml cold water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the chickpeas in a blender with the lemon juice, tahini paste, garlic, water and a little salt and pepper, if desired.
- Blend until smooth. If the hummus is too firm, add extra water, a little at a time, until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Taste, and add extra salt and pepper if needed. This will keep for 3 days if stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Tip: Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds and has a nutty taste. It adds flavour to hummus and it is a natural ‘good’ oil that is low in cholesterol.
Gluten Free – Use gluten free chickpeas.
Nutritional information per serve (10 g) | fat 0.5 g | saturated fat 0.06 g | protein 0.6 g | carbohydrate 0.96 g | sodium 17 mg | energy 46 kJ (11 Cal) | GI low