Perfect for afternoon tea and a treat for the kids!
- 1 cup soy flour (debittered, if available)
- 1 cup gluten-free cornflour (or replace above ingredients with 2 cups store-bought gluten-free flour)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 125 g dairy-free spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups pure icing sugar
- water, for mixing
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Line two flat baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour, cornflour, cocoa and baking powder in a bowl three times (or alternatively, combine by stirring thoroughly using a whisk).
- Beat the dairy-free spread, vanilla essence, sugar, orange zest and egg using electric beaters in a medium mixing bowl until Stir in the combined sifted flours.
- Roll out between two sheets of greaseproof Cut into shapes using a biscuit cutter. Place shapes onto the baking trays. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. When cooked remove from oven and leave on trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a Add enough water to make a smooth consistency. Ice the cooled biscuits immediately. Use a piping bag to decorate, if desired.
Tip: If preferred try adding cocoa to the icing mixture for a richer flavour.
Kids & Teens: Special occasion food
Per serve (25, without icing): energy 464 kJ (110 Cal), protein 2.7g, fat 5.9g, saturated fat 1.2g, carbohydrate 12.1g, sugars 6.8 g, fibre 0.5 g, sodium 45 mg, GI medium