- 3 cooked crayfish (½ crayfish per person)
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 brown onion (optional), sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced
- small stalk celery, finely diced
- ¹/³ cup gluten-free cornflour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 bouquet garni (sprigs of fresh thyme, parsley and a bay leaf tied together)
- pinch nutmeg
- salt and ground white pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- ¾ cup pure cream
- ½ cup grated cheddar or tasty cheese
- ¼ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Cut the crayﬁsh in half lengthways and remove the vein. Carefully remove all of the meat from each of the crayﬁsh, making sure the shells are kept intact.
- Keep chilled until ready to use.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter and fry off the onions, carrot and celery until translucent. Add the cornﬂour and stir until combined. Cook off over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the milk, bouquet garni, nutmeg, salt, pepper, cayenne and tarragon.
- Stir over medium heat until sauce has thickened. Test for seasoning and adjust if required. Remove the bouquet garni.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks and cream. Take the sauce off the heat and whisk in the yolk and cream mixture.
- Cut the crayﬁsh meat into small medallions and place into a large bowl.
- Add half the béchamel sauce and toss to combine.
- Place the crayﬁsh shells on a tray lined with baking paper and carefully spoon in the crayﬁsh meat. Top with the remaining béchamel sauce. Sprinkle the tops with the cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Place crayﬁsh shells under a hot grill to brown. When the cheese has melted and the breadcrumbs are golden, serve immediately with a glass of champagne or sparkling wine.
Per serve: fat 36 g, saturated fat 22.7 g, protein 44.5 g, carbohydrate 18.4 g, sodium 762 mg, energy 2407 kJ (576 Cal), GI high