Gluten free, dairy free and beautifully moist!
- 1 cup fine rice flour
- ½ cup gluten-free cornflour
- ½ cup potato flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (or replace above ingredients with 2 cups store-bought gluten-free self-raising flour)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups (330 g) sugar
- 40 g dairy-free spread, melted
- 200g gluten-free vanilla soy yoghurt
- 2/3 cup (165 ml) rice milk
- 40 g dairy-free spread
- 1½ cups (175 g) pure icing sugar
- 2½ tablespoons rice milk
- 1½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan-forced. Grease a 22 cm cake tin.
- Sift the flours, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and xanthan gum into a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, using electric beaters beat the eggs and sugar until thick and Add the dairy-free spread, soy yoghurt and rice milk into the egg mixture; stir until well combined.
- Pour this mixture into the sifted Beat with electric beaters for 2-3 minutes. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes or until firm to the touch (or a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean). Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Remove from tin and place on a wire rack to cool. Leave to cool before icing.
- To make the dairy-free chocolate frosting, combine the dairy-free spread, pure icing sugar, rice milk and cocoa Spread the cake with icing when cool.
Kids & Teens: Special Occasion Food
Per serve (12) energy 1397 kJ (332 Cal), protein 7.5 g, fat 1.7 g, saturated fat 65.4 g, carbohydrate 40.3 g, sugars 116 g, fibre 0.7 g, sodium 116 mg, GI medium