Not just for babies & toddlers! A delicious meal for the whole family!
- olive oil spray
- 2 medium eggplant (600 g), trimmed and sliced lengthways
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large field mushroom, finely diced
- 500g premium lean mince (lamb or beef)
- 800g fresh tomatoes cored and diced (or 800g canned chopped tomatoes)
- 140g tomato paste (salt-reduced)
- 1 carrot, washed and roughly sliced
- 200g zucchini,washed and roughly sliced
- 1 cup medium grain white or brown rice
- ⅓ cup plain flour
- 2½ cups full cream milk
- 1½cups (125 g) grated cheese (25% reduced-fat)
- Preheat oven grill to high.
- Line a large tray with aluminium foil. Spray each side of the eggplant slices with olive oil spray. Place on grill tray. Cook for 3–4 minutes each side or until tender. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining eggplant pieces.
- Preheat oven to 210°C/190°C fan-forced.
- To make the Meat sauce, heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan on medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and mushroom and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and the mushrooms have softened. Add the mince and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 3–4 minutes or until the mince changes colour.
- Meanwhile place the tomatoes, tomato paste, carrot and zucchini in a blender, place the lid on and blend until smooth. Pour tomato purée over the mince mixture, add water to the blender and swirl to rinse out the remaining tomato mixture, and pour the tomato flavoured water over the mince mixture, and stir to combine.
- Turn the heat to high and cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in a small saucepan of boiling water for a little less time than the packet instructions (about 10 minutes) slightly under cooked. Drain well.
- Place in the bottom of a 2.5 L (10-cup) ovenproof dish (7.5 cm x 16 cm x 21 cm) and spread evenly over the bottom. Top with the meat sauce and spread evenly over the rice.
- Meanwhile, put the flour in a small saucepan and gradually whisk in the milk. Whisk over medium heat for 5–6 minutes or until the sauce thickens and comes to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 2 minutes, then set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Pour into the dish and spread evenly over the meat sauce layer. Top with grated cheese, and bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Baby Friendly – Suitable for 8-10 months
Gluten Free: Use GF plain flour
Per serve: energy 822 kJ, protein 12.9 g, total fat 6 g, saturated fat 3.1 g, cholesterol 32.2 mg, carbohydrate 21 g, fibre 2.7 g, sodium 91.9 mg, GI medium