A beautiful cake for afternoon tea! Moist and delicious!
- ½ cup fine rice flour
- 1 cup polenta
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 80 g dairy-free spread, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- ½ cup orange juice
- grated zest of 2 oranges
- 3 eggs
- 200 g low-fat gluten-free vanilla soy yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 20 cm round springform pan.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, polenta, coconut, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and xanthan gum with a whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Cream the dairy-free spread, sugar and vanilla essence using electric beaters in a bowl until pale and Add the orange juice and zest, and mix well to combine. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add half the sifted flour mixture and using electric beaters mix on low speed until well Add half the soy yoghurt. Mix well. Add remaining flour mixture and mix again, then add remaining soy yoghurt.
- Pour batter into pan and bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes or firm to touch, or skewer inserted into the middle comes out (If the cake is browning too quickly during cooking cover with foil.) Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Kids & Teens: Special occasion food
Per serve (14): Energy 893 kJ (212 Cal), protein 3.7 g, fat 6.4 g, saturated fat 1.5 g, carbohydrate 36 g, sugars 17.6 g, fibre 0.7 g, sodium 659 mg, GI medium