- 6 to 8 large potatoes (about 1kg), peeled
- 600ml milk
- 300ml cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons tasty cheese
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan- forced.
- Slice the potatoes into thin slices. Place the sliced potatoes into a large heavy- based sauce pan and pour over the milk and 150ml cream. Add the salt and pepper, nutmeg and the bay leaf
- Slowly bring to a boil over medium heat, then simmer for about 10–15 minutes until the potatoes are just tender, but not fully cooked.
- Butter a 2-litre oval oven proof serving dish and sprinkle the garlic over the base.Using a slotted spoon carefully transfer some of the potatoes to the dish, reserving the milk and cream poaching liquid. Place a layer of potatoes over the garlic then sprinkle with some Parmesan and tasty cheese, and then some of the poaching liquid.
- Follow with another layer of potato, cheese and poaching liquid, then another layer of potato and poaching liquid only.
- Bake the potatoes for 45minutes until the milk has nearly been absorbed and the top is starting to colour. Add the remaining cheese and pour over the rest of the cream. Bake for a further 15–20 minutes until the top is golden.
- Serve this dish with any roasted meats
Low Fat: Use low fat milk and cream
Low FODMAP: Omit garlic. Replace milk and cream with Liddell’s Lactose Free Cream and Milk and add 2 tablespoons of finely chopped chives. Click here for more information on plant based milks. Click here to purchase Dr Sue Shepherd’s Low FODMAP Diet Shopping Guide.
fat 23.1g, saturated fat 15.0g, protein 12g, carbohydrate 29.5g, sodium 151mg, energy 1585kJ (379Cal), GI high
The Low FODMAP modifications are recommendations only and please note that individual tolerances may and do vary. If in doubt, you should seek advice from an Accredited Practising Dietitian. We also recommend you purchase a copy of Dr Sue Shepherd’s Low FODMAP Shopping Guide. Click here to purchase.