A lovely fresh and healthy stir fry! Ideal for a mid week dinner!
- ²/³ cup (150 g) brown rice
- 2 tablespoons maize cornflour
- 1 cup (250 ml) gluten-free vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free Chinese 5-spice powder
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 1 small red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 500g medium green prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- 1½ cups (200 g) green beans, cut into thirds along the diagonal
- 1 small green capsicum (200 g), cut into thin strips
- 1 small red capsicum (200 g), cut into thin strips
- 410g can baby corn pieces
- 190g can champignon mushrooms, sliced, drained
- 4 tablespoons pickled ginger, finely sliced
- Fill a large saucepan with boiling water and cook rice until tender, according to packet instructions. Drain, rinse under hot water, and set aside to keep warm.
- Combine the cornflour with the vegetable stock in a small bowl, and mix well until no lumps remain. Set aside.
- In a wok or frypan heat the oil over medium to high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, Chinese 5-spice, lime leaves and chilli and cook for 1 minute to develop the flavours. Add the prawns, beans, capsicum, corn and mushrooms. Cook for 3–4 minutes or until the vegetables have just softened and the prawns are golden. Add the stock to pan, stirring gently until the sauce thickens. Divide cooked rice among 4 bowls and top with the stir-fry. Sprinkle pickled ginger on top.
Kids & Teens: Use Homemade stock for reduced salt intake.
Per serve: energy 2199 kJ (523 Cal), protein 37.8 g, fat 12.6 g, saturated fat 2g, carbohydrate 59.7 g, sugars 10.5 g, fibre 8.3 g, sodium 4196.9 mg, GI low