- 100 g rice noodles
- 2 x 200 g raw ocean trout fillet
- 2 pea-sized amounts wasabi paste
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 cm piece ginger, grated
- ¼ capsicum, washed, deseeded and cut into thin sticks
- 1 small carrot, washed and cut into matchsticks
- 100 g snow peas, washed and cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup bok choy, washed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve (optional)
- Place the noodles in a large heatproof bowl. Cover with plenty of boiling water and set aside for 5–7 minutes or until tender. Drain and put aside.
- Wash trout fillet and place skin-side down on a piece of kitchen paper. Dry fillet, rub 1 pea-sized quantity of wasabi into the top of the trout. Mix vinegar and soy sauce together, spoon ½ teaspoon mixture over each piece of trout and sprinkle with sesame seeds, pressing them gently into the fish.
- Heat a barbeque or chargrill pan on high. Place trout in pan, skin-side down, and place a loose fitting lid on top. Cook for 5 minutes each side or until fish is well-cooked (see Health tip). Turn fish over to skin-side down, turn heat off and allow fish to rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok or large frypan over high heat until smoking (see Cook’s tip). Add ginger and garlic, and cook for 1 minute until garlic and ginger are light brown. Stirring quickly, add vegetables, remaining vinegar and soy mixture and stir-fry for 1 minute until tender. Add noddles, and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Divide the noodle and vegetables evenly among serving dishes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Top with trout. Serve immediately with lime wedges, if desired.
Health tip: Trout is full of healthy omega 3 fatty acids which are beneficial for the baby’s mental development and has health benefits for mum too. It is not ecommended to consume fish medium or rare while you are pregnant, always ensure it is cooked throughout.
Cook’s tip: Do not use a non-stick frypan for stir-frying as high temperatures will ruin the surface. Using the lid helps the fish cook through without burning. Alternatively replace the sesame seeds with black sesame seeds or chia seeds. Salmon could also be used instead of ocean trout.
Gluten Free: Use Gluten Free soy sauce and Gluten Free wasabi.
Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian: Substitute trout for tofu
Per serve: energy 1856 kJ, protein 47.4 g, fat 19.9 g, saturated fat 3.3 g, cholesterol 110.2 mg, carbohydrate 16.7 g, fibre 5 g, sodium 538.9 mg, GI low