- 400 g calamari hoods, cleaned and scored
- 70 g rocket (arugula), longer stalks removed
- 20 g baby spinach leaves
- 30 g red (Spanish) onion, ﬁnely sliced
- 100 g snow peas (mangetout), topped and tailed, cut into matchsticks
- ¼ teaspoon ﬁve spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon chilli ﬂakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt ﬂakes
- canola oil spray
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 fresh limes, cut into quarters
- Place a knife inside the calamari hood, cut open and ﬂatten.
- Score the inside in a diagonal pattern (right to left and left to right). Cut up into wide strips and then cut again into triangles.
- Wash and spin-dry the rocket and spinach leaves and place in a large bowl with the onion and snow peas.
- Mix the ﬁve spice powder, chilli ﬂakes and salt ﬂakes together. Add the calamari to the spice mix and toss until the calamari is evenly coated.
- Heat a non-stick frypan until very hot.
- Spray with a little canola oil and place one-quarter of the calamari into the pan and toss every 30 seconds. Remove from heat after three minutes, or when the calamari starts to turn white and is no longer transparent. Repeat this process until all the calamari has been cooked.
- Add the olive oil and a squeeze of lime to the salad and toss together. Divide the salad into 4 bowls and sit the calamari on top of the salad. Serve with a few wedges of lime.
Tip: This simple crunchy salad is virtually fat free and great for a light summer lunch.
Diabetic Friendly: Include 100g cherry tomatoes to be Diabetic Friendly
Per serve: fat 3.9 g | saturated fat 0.9 g | protein 30.3 g | carbohydrate 3.5 g | sodium 639 mg | energy 788 kJ (188 Cal) | GI low