Serves Makes 12 muffins
These are a delicious lunch on the go and a perfect addition for lunch boxes!
- 1 cup (170 g) brown rice flour
- ½ cup (80 g) potato flour
- ½ cup (75 g) maize cornflour
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ cup (30 g) rice bran sticks
- 150 g frozen chopped spinach
- 150 g low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup (80 g) chopped semi-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons finely grated light parmesan
- 11/3 cups (330 ml) skim milk
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely grated light parmesan, extra
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Place patty cake liners into a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Sift the flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and xanthan gum into a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, place the rice bran, spinach, feta, tomatoes, parmesan, milk, oil and eggs and mix with a metal spoon until well combined. Add spinach mixture to flour mixture and use a metal spoon to stir until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into prepared muffin holes. Sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Enjoy warm or at room temperature for lunch or a substantial snack.
Per muffin: energy 987 kJ (236 Cal), protein 8.7 g, fat 10.1 g, saturated fat 2.8 g, carbohydrate 25.6 g, sugars 4.2 g, fibre 2.5 g, sodium 328.4 mg, GI low