This gorgeous summer dessert can be made ahead and is Lactose Free, Low Fat and Low GI!
- 1.6 kg fresh mixed berries (for example strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, boysenberries, blackberries)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 150 ml water
- 14 slices of gluten-free dairy-free bread, thickly sliced with crusts removed and cut in half
- soy vanilla yoghurt, for serving (optional)
- Grease a 1.25 litre pudding basin.
- If using strawberries, hull and quarter. Rinse and drain all berries. Place the berries, sugar and water in a medium saucepan over low heat, and stir gently, without boiling, until the sugar has dissolved. Turn heat up to medium and simmer for 23 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Strain the fruit through a sieve retaining the syrup.
- Press a layer of the bread pieces firmly into the base of a pudding basin. Firmly press the remaining slices to line the sides of the bowl. (Slightly overlap the pieces of bread if necessary.)
- Gently spoon strained berries in the centre of the bread-lined bowl. Pour reserved syrup to nearly cover the fruit. Ensure the syrup soaks through the bread lining, pour more syrup over fruit if required, however set aside about 100 ml for the topping. Let stand for 3-4 minutes.
- Use the remaining triangle pieces of bread to cover the top of the fruit. Pour syrup over the top of the bread to saturate. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours. When ready to serve, place dinner plate over bowl. Invert bowl and shake firmly to release pudding from the bowl onto the plate. Cut into wedges and serve with soy vanilla yoghurt, if using.
Diabetic Friendly: Alter serving size to 20
Per serve (10): energy 1400 kJ (333 Cal), protein 4.8 g, fat 5.9 g, saturated fat 0.7 g, carbohydrate 59.8 g, sugars 31.9 g, fibre 10.8 g, sodium 59.5 mg, GI low