- ½ cup fine rice flour
- ½ cup gluten-free cornflour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 eggs
- ²/³ cup caster sugar
- 30 ml hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan-forced. Lightly grease and rice ﬂour one 18 cm round cake tin, shake tin then invert over the sink to remove excess rice ﬂour.
- Sift the ﬂours and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Add the almond meal and xanthan gum and combine. In another bowl beat the eggs for 1 minute on high then add the sugar. Beat on high speed for about 5–8 minutes, until the mixture is pale, ﬂuffy and thick. Beat in the hot water and the vanilla essence.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the ﬂour mixture to the egg mixture and fold in with a metal spoon. Gradually add the remaining ﬂour mixture in small batches until all combined. (Ensure the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain.)
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and place in the oven for about 30–35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and turn out on a wire rack. Turn the cake over and spread with melted butter to coat the top. Sprinkle over the sugar and cinnamon mixture and serve warm.
Cook’s tip: If not serving this cake straight away, allow to cool without adding the cinnamon sugar. Then reheat in the microwave in slices and sprinkle over the cinnamon sugar to serve.
Kids & Teens: Special Occasion Food
Per serve: fat 5.9 g, saturated fat 2 g, protein 4.2 g, carbohydrate 33.4 g, sodium 96 mg, energy 836 kJ (200 Cal), GI high