- 5 cups (1.25 l/40 fl oz) water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- ½ cup (95 g/3 oz) split red lentils
- 100 g/3¹⁄³ oz) dry pasta shapes (for example, star or dinosaur shapes)
- 2 teaspoons salt-reduced chicken stock powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic 2 celery stalks, diced
- 400 g (13 oz) can tomatoes (no added salt)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (no added salt)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 375 ml (12 fl oz) light evaporated milk
- 4 teaspoons chives (optional)
- Place 1 cup (250 ml/8 fl oz) water, the onion, stock powder and garlic in a large saucepan. Simmer until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the celery, carrot, lentils, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and remaining water and continue to cook for approximately 30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to packet instructions and drain.
- Remove the soup from the heat and puree in a food processor (or with a hand processor).
- Return the pureed soup to the pan and stir through cooked pasta and evaporated milk over low heat, until heated through.
- Divide the soup evenly between bowls and sprinkle with chives (if using), to serve.
Gluten-free: Use gluten-free chicken stock, lentils and gluten-free pasta
Toddler Friendly: Full cream dairy is recommended for children under 2 years of age
Lacto-ovo Vegetarian: Use vegetable stock
Per serve (4): Energy1144 kJ / Fat 1 g / Saturated fat 0 g / Carbohydrate 48 g (3 exchanges) / Fibre 7 g / Sodium 486 mg / GI low