A gorgeous gluten free, low lactose take on the classic English trifle!
- 120g day-old sponge cake (see recipe page 119) or swiss roll (see recipe page 122)
- ¹⁄³ cup medium sweet sherry (or orange juice)
- 120g fresh raspberries
- 120g fresh diced strawberries
- 120g diced tinned peaches
- 300ml double cream
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ caster sugar
- 450ml cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Put sponge cake (or slices of swiss roll) in a glass serving bowl, then sprinkle over the sherry or orange juice and leave until it has all been absorbed.
- Make the custard by whisking the egg yolks and caster sugar together. Bring the cream to the boil, then pour in to the egg mixture whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to the pan and heat very gently, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Take off the heat and allow to cool, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, to avoid ask in from forming on the top, place a ‘cartouche’ (a small circle of baking paper) or a piece of cling wrap directly on the top of the ﬁnished custard, until required.
- Set a side a small amount of strawberries (for decorating the top of the triﬂe at the end). Add all the remaining fruit to a bowl and combine, then spread in an even layer over the sponge. Pour the warm custard over the fruit and allow to set.
- Whip the cream and spread over the top of the set custard, then chill well. Serve with remaining strawberries on top.
fat 19.0g, saturated fat 11.8g, protein 2.4g, carbohydrate 11.5g, sodium 22mg, energy 966kJ (231Cal), GI high