Serves 6 (as a side dish)
Forget about potato bakes that are full of cream and fat! This tasty low fat version is diabetic friendly and easily made gluten free!
500 g (1 lb) potatoes*, peeled and thinly sliced
400 g (13¹⁄³ oz) orange sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons reduced-fat canola margarine
1 medium onion, diced
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
¼ cup (30 g/1 oz) plain flour
2½ cups (625 ml, 20 fl oz) low-fat milk
75 g (2½ oz) lean leg ham, diced
1 cup (125 g/4 oz) reduced-fat grated cheese canola or olive oil spray
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the sweet potato. Cook for another 5 minutes until potatoes soften slightly, then drain.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan. Add the onion and garlic until the onion starts to soften. Stir in the flour over low heat until combined. Add the milk and stir until the mixture star ts to thicken. Fold through ham and half of the cheese; set aside.
- Spray a casserole dish lightly with oil.
- Layer the potato and sweet potato in the base of the dish.
- Top with half of the white sauce and then layer with the remaining potato and sweet potato, then top with the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, bake for 30 minutes, and then brown the top under a grill.
Low GI: Use lower-GI potatoes such as Nicola to reduce the GI of this recipe
Gluten Free: Use gluten free plain flour and ensure ham is gluten free
Toddler Friendly: Full cream dairy products are required for children under 2 years
Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian: Omit ham
Per serve: Energy 1170 kJ / Fat 11 g / Saturated fat 5 g Carbohydrate 29 g (2 exchanges) / Fibre 3 g Sodium 418 mg / GI med (see Recipe Notes)*