Without the gluten, but with all the taste of these family favourites!
- 150 ml reduced-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup soy flour
- 1 cup gluten-free cornflour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 80 g unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free yeast extract (gluten-free equivalent of vegemite®)
- ¾ cup grated reduced-fat tasty cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°c/180°c fan-forced. grease and flour a baking tray.
- Whisk the milk and egg in a bowl. sift the flours, cornflour, xanthan gum and baking powder into a medium bowl.
- Rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. add the milk and egg mixture. using a metal spoon, mix together until the mixture begins to stick together.
- Bring the dough mixture together into a rough ball using your hands. turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently about 4–5 times with your hands, pressing and then turning, until the dough is just smooth. using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough into a rectangle shape, until about 1–1.5 cm thick. (do not taste the uncooked dough as it will taste very bitter due to the soy flour, however this bitterness will disappear once cooked.)
- Spread the gluten-free yeast extract thinly over the dough. sprinkle cheese evenly on top leaving a 1 cm edge all the way around. roll the dough along the longest edge to make a scroll. Use a little water or milk to seal the scroll.
- Cut the log into 2 cm slices. place each slice onto the baking tray about 1 cm apart. bake in the oven for 12–14 minutes or until golden and cooked through. remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Diabetic Friendly – Alter serving size to 18 serves.
energy 776 kJ (184 cal), protein 5.1 g, fat 8 g, saturated fat 4.7 g, carbohydrate 23.5 g, sugars 1.4 g, fibre 0.6 g, sodium 116 mg, gi medium