Serves Makes 22
These gorgeous little cakes are a “no guilt” sweet treat for afternoon tea!
- canola oil spray
- 100 g cornﬂour
- ¼ cup (50 g) self-raising ﬂour
- zest of ½ lemon, ﬁnely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plain low-fat yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 70 g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 30 g blackberries
- 8 large strawberries, cut into chunks
- 30 g raspberries
- icing sugar, extra, for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/160º fan-forced.
- Sift the cornﬂour and self-raising ﬂour 3 times.
- Mix the lemon zest, lemon juice and yoghurt together and set aside.
- Beat the eggs and egg whites in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until thick and ﬂuffy (but not creamy). Slowly add the caster sugar, and keep whipping until dissolved and mixture looks glossy.
- Sieve the ﬂour mix into the eggs (do not pour in) and gently fold through carefully, without knocking all the air out of the egg mix.
- Once folded through add the lemon yoghurt mix and, again, gently fold through until just combined.
- Lightly spray 44 holes of four 12–hole (1 tablespoon) mini mufﬁn pans with canola oil. (Alternatively, cakes can be made in batches.) Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture into the pan holes.
- Bake the cakes in the oven on the middle shelf for approximately 5 minutes or until cooked through and slightly coloured. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Repeat this process until all the mixture is used.
- Place the berries in a heatproof bowl and sift the icing sugar over the berries. Cover with cling wrap. Place the covered bowl over a pot of boiling water then turn down the heat and gently simmer for approximately 10 minutes. (Berries should be quite wet and soup-like.)
- To put the cakes together, remove a small amount from the inside of one cake. Fill with ½ teaspoon yoghurt and then ½ teaspoon berry mix, then place another cake on top (dome side up). Repeat the process for the rest of the cakes then dust lightly with icing sugar.
Cooks Tip: These cute cakes are very fresh and light, and are hard to refuse. It is best to put the clam cakes together just before serving. You can substitute 100 g frozen mixed berries if fresh berries are not in season.
Diabetic Friendly: Serve with extra berries on the side to be diabetic friendly.
Per serve: fat 0.6 g | saturated fat 0.2 g | protein 1.5 g | carbohydrate 9.9 g | sodium 30 mg | energy 217 kJ (52 Cal) | GI medium